It’s Autumn and this year the UK is experiencing a bumper crop of Pumpkins! These Pumpkin Protein energy balls have become a firm favourite in our house. Super simple to make, you could even leave them in the hands of the kids once the pumpkin has been cooked and pureed.
150g pumpkin puree (see note below)
2 scoops Arbonne vanilla protein powder (20g protein)
75g flax seed (I like to give it a quick blitz in my nutribullet so it’s not completely whole)
3 tablespoons agave syrup (you could also use maple syrup honey if you’re not vegan)
225g almond butter - this is 1 small jar
- If you’re making the pumpkin puree rather than using puree from a tin, slice the pumpkin into quarters and scoop out the seeds and any stringy bits. Roast in the skins at 180 degrees for 30 – 40 mins until tender. Allow to cool and scoop out the flesh. Puree and set aside.
- Mix the Vanilla protein powder, oats and flax seed together.
- Add the almond butter, syrup and pumpkin puree and mix to combine.
- Add slightly more oats if the mix seems too wet.
- Place in the fridge uncovered to chill for approx 2 hours to allow to firm up. This will make rolling the balls much easier.
- Using a small scooper or a large spoon, scoop out 1 tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a ball, continuing until all of the mixture is rolled into balls.
- Place the balls on a large plate lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for at least thirty minutes. Makes about 30 balls.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week or freeze in small batches and take a few out when you fancy them. Believe me, they’re so tasty they won’t last that long!
And if you’ve roasted your own pumpkin here’s a great use for the seeds – make roast pumpkin seeds with fennel and chilli