This is one of my family's all time favourites. So much so that when the Covoid-19 Virus struck and we wanted to help mums, who weren't used to having the kids at home all week and even less used to cooking healthy meals on a budget, to cope with what life was throwing at them, it was the recipe we reached for. On Thursday 26th March we start the first of our healthy cookery classes for parents and kids.
Get yourself armed with all the ingredients and let's get cooking together. We'll be live on our social media platform - Hungry For Health on facebook and all you need to do is join the group and then join us at 5pm to share our cooking class, our healthy living tips and our love.
This chilli is great with rice but if you want to make it and stuff a jacket potato, sweet potato or have it with flatbreads or Tortillas get these ready in advance. It takes about 30 mins to cook so you need to put your jacket potato in to be ready in line with this. I'll leave you to work your individual timings out but if you're stuck please message me. If you want to have guacamole and/ sour cream or coconut yogurt with it get these ready separately too. This blog has my favourite guacamole recipe in it as well as a great salsa recipe or you may find both in the shops.
Finally if you can't find the right beans, passata or tomatoes don't panic. You can substitute any tinned beans (without sauce) or chickpeas, dried beans but you'll need to pre-soak and cook them before we start, and use fresh tomatoes or even tomato puree and water to replace the passata. Jump on the live cookery class with whatever you have and we'll talk you through how to make it work.
Get your apron on and let's get cooking.
- 2 Carrots (if you're struggling to find carrots you could use another root vegetable - parsnip, swede or even sweet potato)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 600g passata
- 50g tomato puree
- 2 x 400g cans black beans - or what you have
- 1 x 400g red kidney beans - or what you have
- 1 jalapeno pepper (if you're cooking for your kids add chilli to their taste)
- 1 tea spoon chilli flakes
- 220g Brown basmati rice (or white rice if that's what you have) to serve - we'll show you how to make the best rice!
- Salt and pepper to taste
If you want to eat immediately after cooking with us you need to soak the rice before 5pm!
Directions for rice: Wash the rice in cold water and then leave to soak in fresh cold water for min 30 mins. You can leave the rice soaking in the water until we're live at 5pm.
To eat with us immediately after cooking, do this before we go live at 5pm
- Start by grating the carrot and set side.
- Peel and crush the garlic or chop into small pieces.
- Drain the cans of bens and wash thoroughly.
- Place the carrot and garlic in a large pan
- Add the passata, tomato puree, the red and black beans, jalapeno pepper and the chilli flakes to the pan, along with some salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the chilli for about 10 minutes, stirring it well until it’s lovely and warm, with everything mixed together well
- Pour the chilli over brown rice and enjoy
- Make extra batches of this and freeze – use for jacket potato fillings and whatever takes your fancy
- Instead of buying fresh jalapenos, buy a jar of sliced jalapenos and use as desired
- Serve with guacamole and/or coconut yogurt with nachos or tortillas instead of rice