If you've seen the photos from our recent house move into our current rental property (follow me on FB if not) you'll have seen the huge box of unshelled walnuts we moved with us! Our last house had two majestic walnut trees in the garden so I was always thinking of recipes to use these delicious nuts in. This breakfast recipe is great. It combines the earthiness of the walnuts with sweet succulent medjool dates. A combination made in heaven. Give it a try and let me know your thoughts.
- 50g gluten free oats
- 100ml oat or coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped dates – Medjool if possible
- 1 tablespoon toasted walnuts
- 1 teaspoon honey (or maple syrup if vegan)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine oats, half the dates and oat milk in a jar or bowl and stir. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, heat the oats, if desired, or eat cold. Add more oat milk or yogurt if they seem too thick.
- To serve. Top with remaining dates, walnuts nuts, honey, or maple syrup, and cinnamon. Top with extra fruit if desired - bananas work really well with walnuts and coconut shavings do too