You know me, I love to make breakfast one of the most important parts of my day. It's a way to kick start your metabolism after the fast of the night before, so stating your day with something that will fuel you is essential to overall health. At this time of year I start to think about warmer breakfasts and yet I still love a bircher muesli. Placed in the fridge to work it's magic overnight it is a great way to ensure you start your day with essential vitamins and minerals, complex carbohdrates, healthy fats and a little fruit sugar to energise you. Enjoy.
2-3 servings – will keep for 5 days in the fridge
- 75g Gluten Free Porridge oats
- 40g Dried cranberries, blueberries or sultanas – or mix of all 3
- Juice ½ Lemon
- 1 Apple – grated including skin plus slices to decorate
- 1 tbsp Desiccated coconut
- 100ml oat milk (or other plant milk)
- 50ml coconut yogurt
- 15g Flaked almonds, toasted
- 75g Blackberries or blueberries
- 2 tbsp Clear honey, or maple syrup if vegan
- Place the oats and cranberries or sultanas plus coconut in a bowl and pour over oat milk and the lemon juice.
- Thoroughly wash then grate the apple and stir in. Place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, add yogurt, almonds and stir in.
- Transfer the muesli into a bowl and top with apple slices and blackberries/blueberries, drizzle with honey or maple syrup to taste.
(The muesli will keep in the fridge for a few days but add any toppings as you plan to eat it.)
If you loved this breakfast you might like to try: